• Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA)

Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA)

How to take advantage of your SCRA military benefits

Are you or your spouse a member of the military or recently discharged? Are you a servicemember on active duty or active service? Are you the spouse or a dependent of a servicemember? You may be entitled to certain legal protections and debt relief through the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (“SCRA”). SCRA and similar state laws provide significant protections and benefits to eligible military service personnel.

What is SCRA?

In December 2003, the SCRA replaced the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Civil Relief Act of 1940.

According to SCRA, servicemembers on “active duty” or “active service,” or a spouse or dependent of a servicemember may be entitled to certain legal protections and debt relief pursuant to the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (50 USC App. §§ 501-597b).

If you are a military service member in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard, or a commissioned officer in the Public Health Service or National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or recently discharged, we want to ensure you receive all protections to which you may be entitled.

How to notify ditech of active duty or active service status

In order for us to determine how we may be able to apply the provisions of the SCRA to your account, we must obtain proof of military service.

If you are a customer who is in—or about to be in—active duty status, you may qualify. Please send copies of one or more of the following documents so we can verify your status.

  • Orders calling you to active duty or deployment. These should include the servicemember’s name and duration of active duty.
  • A letter from a Commanding Officer stating that you are or were in active duty. This should include the servicemember’s name and duration of active duty.
  • A copy of your recent Leave and Earning Statement (LES). This should include the servicemember’s name and duration of active duty.
  • Permanent Change of Station orders. PCS orders that include original orders or dates of active duty will be accepted.

Send copies of military orders or other documents to ditech

Please allow us to verify your status by sending us copies of your orders or the other documents listed above. Mail or fax as convenient to:

Ditech Customer Service
PO Box 6172
Rapid City, SD 57709-6172
Phone: 1-800-643-0202
Fax: 1-866-870-9919

Tips about SCRA and ditech

  • Stay in touch. Please make sure we have your most recent mailing address so we can keep you informed about your account. Consider enrolling in ditech digital alerts for fast, free notifications via email or texts.
  • Timing is important. We realize that military deployment may limit your ability to conduct business during regular business hours. We make reasonable attempts to communicate with customers. Our customer service agents are available by phone weekday evenings and Saturday mornings. If you are overseas and need help to access your account online, please contact customer service at 1-480-383-2295.
  • Provide information. To prevent delays, please give us clear instructions about anyone else you’ve chosen to have access to your account or act on your behalf. (Please be advised that in some cases, we may require Power of Attorney.)

Housing counseling for servicemembers

A housing counselor can advise you on buying a home, renting, defaults, foreclosure prevention, homelessness, and credit problems. The following agencies provide homeowner and housing counseling for military servicemembers:

Contact us at your convenience for more information about SCRA.